(406) 827-3277

Every year in Montana, money and other personal assets go unclaimed. You or someone you know may be one of the owners of that unclaimed property held in trust by the state. This week, we began publishing in statewide newspapers the names of the owners of this property that has been reported as unclaimed from July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2017.

The department receives money from dormant bank accounts, uncashed checks and money orders, insurance policy payments and unused gift certificates, as well as stocks, bonds and the contents from safe deposit boxes. Some businesses will offer to help you find your unclaimed property, but may require you to pay a fee for their assistance. While these can be legal businesses, you do not have to pay to reclaim your property.

Please go to the TransAction Portal at https://tap.dor.mt.gov/ and use the “Search for Unclaimed Property” link to search for your name. Follow the on screen instructions to create and submit your claim. If you prefer, we can mail you a paper claim form. You will need to call the department at (406) 444-6900. An advantage to creating an online claim is the option to have your funds directly deposited to your bank account. We are not able to offer this benefit through the paper claim process. Depending on the amount or type of property being claimed, we may require some additional documents to verify your identity and that you are the rightful claimant.

If you’d like more information, you can call us at (406) 444-6900 or send an email to [email protected].

This article is being shared by the MT Dept. of Revenue